In 1545, the first medical and botanical garden in Europe was founded in Padua. In 1591, Girolamo Porro, a copper engraver, published a guide to the garden complex which, in addition to a fold-out overview plan (see image), also contains four individual plans of the divisions of the complex. As can be seen from the drawing, the garden design follows strict geometrical guidelines. The exhibition of the plants followed a certain form; nature became ordered and thus manageable.
Girolamo Porro (1520–1606), general plan of the botanical garden of Padua, copper engraving, 1591; source: Girolamo Porro, Horto dei semplici di Padova, Venice 1591; Wikimedia Commons, public domain.