Schloss Belvedere, located on the southern outskirts of Weimar, was built between 1724 and 1748 as a summer residence and hunting lodge by Duke Ernest Augustus of Saxe-Weimar and Eisenach (1688–1748). Between 1797 and 1802, the Schloss housed the educational institute run by the French politician Jean Joseph Mounier (1758‒1806), who had gone into exile in Weimar during the French Revolution. The curriculum included law, history and philosophy. Since 1923 Schloss Belvedere has been the home of a handicraft museum.
Schloss Belvedere, Weimar, colour photograph, 2008, Photograph: Uli; source: Wikimedia Commons, http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Weimar_belvedere.jpg, Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 1.0 Generic license.